Chicken and Broccoli Pasta recipe
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
- Chicken pasta
- Chicken broccoli
Chicken and broccoli make a delicious pairing in a tomato-garlic sauce. Penne or shells work well, as they soak up the sauce.
208 people made this
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 450g (1lb) chicken breast chunks
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
- 175g (6oz) fresh broccoli florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 500g (1 1/4 lbs) dry penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:20min
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm oil and add chicken; cook until slightly brown. Add onion and garlic to cook for about 5 minutes or until garlic is golden and onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes, broccoli, salt, pepper and oregano; stir well and bring to the boil. Cover and turn down heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender; drain and add back into pot. Pour chicken and sauce into pot and mix well.
- Add basil and toss well; top with Parmesan cheese. Serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(226)
Reviews in English (158)
Followed recipe to the letter but it turned out rather bland! I seasoned it well but it tasted like it was lacking something. As I'm the first to review, I don't want to put off others trying it as it was very easy to put together. So c'mon cooks try it and see what you think. As I said I made it exactly as instructed.-23 May 2010
Ditto the first review. Tasted bland so had to grate more cheese on top to flavour it a bit more. Won't do this one again-26 May 2015
I agree that this recipe needed something. I prepared it by browning the chicken, then added the onions and lots of garlic, cooked it until the onions were soft, then added the brocolli and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. (The chicken broth helps take away the natural bitterness of the brocolli). I then added a 24 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, parmesan cheese, and a cup of dry red wine. I then let it simmer for 30 minutes and tossed with rigatoni. Turned out very well and I would definitely make it again!-01 May 2002
Ultra Lazy HEALTHY Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake
Experienced cooks will raise their eyebrows when they see how this HEALTHY Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake is made. But don’t judge until you try it – it works. Made from scratch, not a drop of cream, this is a complete meal that takes 5 minutes to prep, made in ONE baking dish and it’s absolutely delish. <350 cal per serving!>
- 1 (16-oz.) package penne pasta
- 4 cups 1-in. fresh broccoli florets (from 24 oz. whole broccoli)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup chopped pepperoncini salad peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces pre-shredded mozzarella cheese (about 2 cups), divided
Preheat oven to 375°F with oven rack 6 to 8 inches from heat. Cook pasta in a large stockpot or Dutch oven according to package directions, adding broccoli for the last 2 minutes of cook time. Transfer pasta and broccoli to a colander, and drain well.
Add oil to the same stockpot, and heat over medium-high. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt. Cook chicken in hot oil, turning occasionally, until chicken is lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and add cream cheese, heavy cream, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cream cheese is melted and sauce begins to bubble, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in pepperoncini peppers, garlic powder, and 1 cup of the mozzarella until combined. Return pasta and broccoli to pot, and stir to coat.
Transfer pasta mixture to a 13- x 9-inch broiler-proof baking dish, and top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella. Bake in preheated oven until heated through, about 10 minutes. Increase temperature to broil, and broil until cheese on top is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
|Block Reason:||Access from your area has been temporarily limited for security reasons.|
|Time:||Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:24:40 GMT|
Wordfence is a security plugin installed on over 3 million WordPress sites. The owner of this site is using Wordfence to manage access to their site.
You can also read the documentation to learn about Wordfence's blocking tools, or visit wordfence.com to learn more about Wordfence.
Generated by Wordfence at Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:24:40 GMT.
Your computer's time: .
How To Make Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Pasta
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Brown the chicken: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the cut chicken breasts to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and starts to brown.
- Saute the sauteables: Add the onions and cook till the onions soften, add the garlic and cook till fragrant which is about 30 seconds.
- Cook the pasta: Add the pasta, chicken broth, and milk and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low, stir and cover the skillet and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally until the pasta in cooked through.
- Finish the dish: Uncover the pot and stir in the broccoli. Continue cooking for a couple more minutes until all the liquid has evaporated before stirring in the shredded cheese. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm!
What I love most about this chicken and broccoli bake is that it’s made with ingredients that I normally have in my pantry or fridge. Not to mention these are real simple ingredients.
- Pasta – any small shaped pasta works here, either white or whole wheat. I personally love gemelli and try to use whole wheat pasta when I can for a more nutrient-dense meal.
- Broccoli – buy broccoli and cut it into florets yourself. It’s fresher and you have control over how big you want your florets to be.
- Chicken – chicken thighs, chicken tenders, or chicken breast are good chicken options for this recipe. Chicken thighs will give you more flavor and are most tender.
- Cream cheese – look for cream cheese with fewer ingredients and buy organic when possible. I personally love Organic Valley cream cheese.
It’s made with only a handful of ingredients, including milk from pasture-raised cows. If you’re feeling adventurous, here’s a recipe on how to make your own cream cheese.
- Cheese – you will need mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself. It’s fresher, tastes better, and has fewer additives.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Bake
To make this chicken and broccoli pasta bake, you’ll need a large sauté pan (3 quarts or larger) big enough to fit the sauce, cooked pasta, chicken, and broccoli.
You’ll also need a baking dish around 10 X 10 inches or something similar in size.
- Step 1: Cook the pasta according to package directions one minute shy of al dente. Make sure to salt the water before adding the pasta.
Good ration to remember is 1 teaspoon kosher salt per 1-quart water. In the last two minutes of cooking, add the broccoli florets and cook just until almost tender. Drain and set aside.
- Step 2: While the pasta is cooking, toss the chicken with spices, salt, and pepper. Heat a large sauté pan with oil over medium-high heat, when hot, add chicken and cook until no longer pink on the outside.
Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a simmer. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Then add half of the mozzarella cheese. The sauce should slightly thicken.
- Step 3: Gently fold in cooked pasta and broccoli. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 15 minutes in a 375 degree F oven.
- Step 4: Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Continue to bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted. Before serving, let the chicken broccoli bake rest for 5 minutes.
Easy Sides for Chicken and Broccoli Pasta:
Love cozy meals? Try our Sicilian Chicken Soup. It’s a winner every single time!
I’ve been making this pasta with chicken and broccoli for years, ever since a work friend shared it with me over lunch one day decades ago.
I used to make it with penne or rigatoni, but now I use whatever short-cut pasta I happen to have in the pantry. Last night it was rotini.
I like to cook the broccoli along with the pasta, so it falls apart upon stirring and becomes a course puree. It’s delicious with or without the chicken, so leave it out if you like.
I’ve made it lighter and healthier through the years too – by using less olive oil and more chicken broth, white wine and some of the reserved pasta water.
Be sure to use good cheese in this simple recipe – not the cheap stuff it’s just not the same. Either Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano work well.
Parmesan cheese and grater on cutting board (affiliate link) at table
You can also add some crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat if you like. I like to serve it with a simple mixed green salad. Enjoy!
- 8 ounces uncooked whole-grain penne pasta
- 2 cups frozen steam-in-bag broccoli florets
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces preshredded 2% reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat drain.
Heat broccoli according to package directions cool slightly. Combine stock, milk, and flour in a bowl. Place broccoli and stock mixture in a blender blend until smooth.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to pan cook 4 minutes. Add garlic cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broccoli mixture to pan bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in pasta, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in cheese. Top with green onions.
Looking for more delicious pasta recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- 16 ounces spaghetti noodles 1 package
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups milk
- 1⅓ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken from the deli)
- 1 head broccoli florets steamed
This chicken broccoli pasta recipe is total comfort food!
I just boil up some pasta, toss in some broccoli, stir in shredded chicken, and whip up a simple creamy cheese sauce. Total comfort food and you&rsquoll have it on the table in about 20 minutes, if you don&rsquot take the time it counts to bring the water to a boil, which I don&rsquot because 20 minutes sounds better than 30 minutes. Also, some people have those magical stoves that bring water to a boil in under 2 minutes, so it&rsquos not technically a lie. Right? Go with me on that.
PLEASE NOTE: This recipe does not produce a ton of cheese sauce. The pasta, chicken, and broccoli will be lightly coated in sauce. If you like your pasta dishes more saucy, double the amount of cheese sauce below. Also, feel free to serve this with some crusty bread for dunking in any of that extra cheese sauce if you do choose to double it, because YUM.